L.A. Care is a health plan for people who have Medi-Cal in Los Angeles County. L.A. Care works with the State of California to help you get the health care you need.
You may talk with one of the L.A. Care Member Services representative to learn more about the health plan and how to make it work for you. Call 1-888-839-9909 (TTY: 711).
When Your Coverage Starts and Ends
When you enroll in L.A. Care, we will send you an ID card within two weeks of your enrollment date.
- You must show your L.A. Care ID card and your Medi-Cal Benefits Identification Card (BIC) when you get any health care services or prescriptions.
- Your Medi-Cal coverage will need to be renewed every year.
- If your local county office cannot renew your Medi-Cal coverage using electronic sources, the county will send you a Medi-Cal renewal form.
- Complete this form and return it to your local county human services agency. You can return your information online, in person, or by phone or other electronic means if available in your county.
- Your effective date of coverage is the 1st day of the month following completion of enrollment in a health plan.
- Check your letter from Health Care Options for your coverage effective date.
- You may ask to end your L.A. Care coverage and choose another health plan at any time.
L.A. Care is the health plan for Medi-Cal members in Los Angeles County.
L.A. Care eligibility may end if any of the following is true:
- You move out of Los Angeles County
- You no longer have Medi-Cal
- If you become eligible for a waiver program that requires you to be enrolled in FFS Medi-Cal.
- You are in jail or prison
If you lose your L.A. Care Medi-Cal coverage, you may still be eligible for Fee-for-Service (FFS) Medi-Cal coverage.
If you are not sure if you are still covered by L.A. Care, please call Member Services at 1-888-839-9909 (TTY: 711).
Special Considerations for American Indians in Managed Care
American Indians have a right to not enroll in a Medi-Cal managed care plan or they may leave their Medi-Cal managed care plan and return to FFS Medi-Cal at any time and for any reason.
If you are an American Indian, you have the right to get health care services at an Indian Health Care Provider (IHCP).
You may also stay with or disenroll from L.A. Care while getting health care services from these locations. For information on enrollment and disenrollment call 1-888-839-9909 (TTY: 711).