Vision benefits covered by L.A. Care for Medi-Cal members include:
- Routine eye exams once every 24 months
- Additional or more frequent eye exams are covered if medically necessary for members, such as those with diabetes
- Eyeglasses (frames and lenses) are covered once every 24 months with a valid prescription
- Replacement eyeglasses within 24 months with a change in prescription or if eyeglasses are lost, stolen, broken (and cannot be fixed) and it is not the member’s fault. Members must provide a note that tells how the eyeglasses were lost, stolen, or broken
- Low vision devices for those with vision impairment that is not correctable by standard glasses, contact lenses, medicine, or surgery that interferes with a person’s ability to perform every day activities (i.e., age-related macular degeneration)
- Medically necessary contact lenses
- Contact lens testing and contact lenses may be covered if the use of eyeglasses is not possible due to eye disease or condition (i.e., missing an ear). Medical conditions that qualify for special contact lenses include, but are not limited to, aniridia, aphakia, and keratoconus
To find out more about eye exams or vision care coverage, call Vision Service Plan (VSP) at 800-877-7195 (TTY 1-800-428-4833). No-cost interpreting services, including American Sign Language, are available.
L.A. Care Covered™ and L.A. Care Covered Direct™
- One routine eye exam per year
- One (1) eyewear prescription (one pair of glasses or contact lenses) each year
- One (1) routine eye exam every year,
- Up to $200 for eyeglasses (frames and lenses) or up to $200 for contact lenses every two years.