When you need health care:
- Call your PCP
- Have your L.A. Care ID number ready on the call
- Leave a message with your name and phone number if the office is closed
- Take your Medi-Cal Benefits Identification Card (BIC) and L.A. Care ID card to your appointment
- Ask for transportation to your appointment, if needed
- Ask for language assistance or interpretation services, services, before your appointment to have the services at the time of your visit, if needed
- Be on time for your appointment, arriving a few minutes early to sign in, fill out forms and answer any questions your PCP may have
- Call right away if you cannot keep your appointment or will be late
- Have your questions and medication information ready in case you need them
If you have an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.
Getting to your appointment
If you don’t have a way to get to and from your appointments for covered services, we can help arrange transportation for you. This service, called medical transportation, is not for emergencies.
If you are having an emergency, call 911.
Medical transportation is available for services and appointments that are not related to emergency services and may be available at no cost to you.
You can learn more about these services on the Transportation benefits for situations that are not emergencies page.
Canceling and rescheduling
If you can’t make your appointment, call your provider’s office right away.
Most doctors ask you to call 24 hours (1 business day) before your appointment if you have to cancel.
If you miss repeated appointments your doctor may not want to have you as a patient anymore.