L.A. Care's Commitment to Health Equity
L.A. Care is committed to advancing health equity for our members and their communities. By health equity, we mean everyone has a fair and just opportunity to be as healthy as possible.
Health Equity Work
L.A. Care’s Health Equity Action Plan involves a number of internal and external efforts:
- Adopting an official Statement of Principles on Social Justice and Systemic Racism.
- Creating a Quality, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Medical Director position to prioritize and oversee the health plan’s equity, diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Implementing an Equity Council Steering Committee with three subcommittees focused on Members, Providers & Vendors, and Employees.
- Training all L.A. Care leadership and staff on Diversity and Inclusion, including concepts of implicit bias and cultural humility.
- Launching a health equity disparities education campaign for employees.
- Following best practices for recruiting a diverse workforce.
- Identifying and addressing the Social Determinants of Health that greatly impact our members.
- Launching L.A. Care Community Link to connect members to food, housing, and other resources.
- Creating a Social Services Department that helps members connect to the right programs in the community for the social services they need.
- Soliciting input from community advisory council members to inform disparities interventions.
- Providing care management to support the health of our members.
- Addressing the underrepresentation of racial and ethnic minorities among health professionals by expanding on L.A. Care’s Elevating the Safety Net Initiative.
- Ensuring that the L.A. Care provider network is reflective of the languages and race/ethnicities of the members they serve.
- Educating providers and community partners about health disparities.
- Including equity and disparities metrics in clinical and quality outcomes dashboards.