Fight the Flu Program
The best way to protect yourself and those you love from getting the flu is to get vaccinated. Many people don’t get the flu shot because they believe it will make them sick, doesn’t work, or that the flu isn’t serious. These are all myths! The truth is it’s more important than ever to get vaccinated against flu because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Learn the truth about the flu vaccine! Watch our Flu Myth Busters video.
L.A. Care’s Fight the Flu Program encourages all L.A. Care members to get vaccinated each year. People more at risk for flu complications include:
- Children under 5 years
- Pregnant women
- Adults older than 65 years (older adults should also talk to their doctor about the pneumococcal vaccine)
- Those who have a long-term health problem such as diabetes or asthma
- Those who are overweight
Please take the time to get your flu shot, it’s easy and free for L.A. Care members. Simply call your doctor’s office or go to a local participating pharmacy. You can find a pharmacy near you using the Pharmacy Finder. You may also choose to get a free flu shot at a community site.
Other ways to protect yourself include:
- Staying away from those who are sick and staying home when you are sick.
- Washing your hands often or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Covering your coughs and sneezes.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Following local masking and social distancing guidelines due to the ongoing COVID pandemic.
The more we can do to protect ourselves, the less people who get the flu and avoid hospitalization. Protection is more important this year because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. It’s up to each one of us to do our part.
Call L.A. Care’s Health Education at 1-855-856-6943 (TTY 711) to learn more about the Fight the Flu Program.