The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (LAC DPH) issued a health update on April 2, 2020. This update revises the time period that a patient with COVID-19 is considered infectious, affecting isolation and quarantine orders.
Read the full LAC DPH Health Update: Revised COVID-19 Exposure Period.
Because guidance for the prevention and management of COVID-19 may change, providers and staff are encouraged to visit the Los Angeles Health Alert Network (LAHAN) website frequently. You can also subscribe to the LAHAN to receive alerts, advisories, and updates from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
- LAC DPH has revised the time period that a patient with COVID-19 is considered infectious to begin 48 hours before symptom onset instead of from the first day of symptom onset. This is based on new recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- The recent Health Officer orders have been revised to require that individuals with presumed or confirmed COVID-19 notify all persons with whom they had close contact beginning 48 hours before their symptom onset.
Los Angeles County DPH Acute Communicable Disease Control:
- List of conditions reportable by providers: updated on 3-24-20 to include reporting diseases by email (using secure transmission), and for COVID-19, reporting deaths and cases to specific email addresses. Healthcare providers must report all positive COVID-19 laboratory results to LAC DPH (except for tests performed at the Public Health Lab).
- Report a death associated with COVID-19: by phone or secure email immediately. Telephone 1-888-397-3993 or 1-213-240-7821 or complete the Novel Coronavirus Death Report form and send via email (using secure transmission to COVIDdeath@ph.lacounty.gov.
- Report all other COVID-19 cases: by completing the Medical Provider COVID-19 Report Form and sending by fax to 310-605-4274 or send by secure email to COVID19@ph.lacounty.gov.
- Laboratory Reporting: The list of reportable conditions that laboratories must report was revised on 3-24-20. All novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) results must be reported electronically within one working day. Positive specimens must be submitted to the Public Health Laboratory.
Long Beach Health and Human Services:
- To report a case of COVID-19, fill out the Long Beach COVID-19 Report Form and fax the form and a copy of the positive laboratory result to 1-562-570-4374 or send by secure email to LBEpi@longbeach.gov.
Pasadena Public Health Department:
- To report a case of COVID-19, fill out the COVID-19 Report Form at the Pasadena Public Health Department website. Fax the form to 1.626.744.6115 and call 1.626.744.6089 on weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (note: closed every other Friday) or for after-hours call 1.626.744.6043.
⇒ Keep up to date by visiting the LAC DPH Coronavirus Webpage for Health Professionals.