The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (LAC DPH) issued a health advisory on April 7, 2020. This advisory details requirements regarding close contacts, and underscores the significance of timely and complete reporting.
Because guidance for the prevention and management of COVID-19 may change, providers and staff are encouraged to visit the Los Angeles Health Alert Network (LAHAN) website frequently. You can also subscribe to the LAHAN to receive alerts, advisories, and updates from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
⇒ Keep up to date by visiting the LAC DPH Coronavirus Webpage for Health Professionals.
- It is critical for outbreak control that the close contacts of a COVID-19 infected patient be promptly informed of their exposure. When a healthcare provider diagnoses COVID-19 in an inpatient, a skilled nursing facility resident, or in a patient who has died, they must inform the patient's close contacts about the need to self-quarantine and/or isolate.
- Healthcare providers must report all fatalities related to COVID-19, including out of hospital deaths of presumed cases. Please use the revised LAC DPH COVID-19 death report and case report forms (see Reporting COVID-19 in L.A. County Residents below).
Reporting COVID-19 in L.A. County Residents
COVID-19 associated deaths must be reported by healthcare providers immediately.
- Phone 1-888-397-3993 or 1-213-240-7821 -or-
- Complete the Novel Coronavirus Death Report form and send via secure email to COVIDdeath@ph.lacounty.gov. When completing the form, please make sure to fill in all sections including if the family has been informed.
- It is the responsibility of the reporting provider to ensure that the next of kin has been notified of the death and of the COVID-19 result.
All other COVID-19 cases must be reported by healthcare providers within one day.
Providers should complete all sections of the Medical Provider COVID-19 Report Form* and then submit via fax or secure email:
*Please be sure to use the revised forms dated 4/4/20 (death report) and 4/3/20 (case report).
Long Beach Health and Human Services:
- To report a case of COVID-19, fill out the Long Beach COVID-19 Report Form and fax the form and a copy of the positive laboratory result to 1-562-570-4374 or send by secure email to LBEpi@longbeach.gov. To report a death, please fill out the Long Beach COVID-19 Death Report.
Pasadena Public Health Department:
- To report a case of COVID-19, fill out the COVID-19 Report Form at the Pasadena Public Health Department website. Fax the form to 1.626.744.6115 and call 1.626.744.6089 on weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m, or for after-hours call 1.626.744.6043.