The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (LAC DPH) issued a health advisory on April 22, 2020. This advisory shares new guidance on testing, as well as universal source control for everyone entering a health care facility.
Because guidance for the prevention and management of COVID-19 may change, providers and staff are encouraged to visit the Los Angeles Health Alert Network (LAHAN) website frequently. You can also subscribe to the LAHAN to receive alerts, advisories, and updates from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
⇒ Keep up to date by visiting the LAC DPH Coronavirus Webpage for Health Professionals.
- Molecular testing for SARS CoV-2 is becoming more available. Healthcare providers and systems are encouraged to test more symptomatic persons as resources allow.
- Symptomatic patients who are tested for COVID-19 should be instructed to continue to follow home isolation instructions, even if the test result is negative. Guidance is available for patients who test positive or negative in a variety of scenarios.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now recommend universal source control for everyone entering a healthcare facility, regardless of symptoms.
Reporting COVID-19 in L.A. County Residents
COVID-19 associated deaths must be reported by healthcare providers immediately.
- Phone 1-888-397-3993 or 1-213-240-7821 -or-
- Complete the Novel Coronavirus Death Report form and send via secure email to COVIDdeath@ph.lacounty.gov. When completing the form, please make sure to fill in all sections including if the family has been informed.
- It is the responsibility of the reporting provider to ensure that the next of kin has been notified of the death and of the COVID-19 result.
All other COVID-19 cases must be reported by healthcare providers within one day.
Providers should complete all sections of the Medical Provider COVID-19 Report Form* and then submit via fax or secure email:
*Please be sure to use the revised forms dated 4/4/20 (death report) and 4/3/20 (case report).
Long Beach Health and Human Services:
- To report a case of COVID-19, fill out the Long Beach COVID-19 Report Form and fax the form and a copy of the positive laboratory result to 1-562-570-4374 or send by secure email to LBEpi@longbeach.gov. To report a death, please fill out the Long Beach COVID-19 Death Report.
Pasadena Public Health Department:
- To report a case of COVID-19, fill out the COVID-19 Report Form at the Pasadena Public Health Department website. Fax the form to 1.626.744.6115 and call 1.626.744.6089 on weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m, or for after-hours call 1.626.744.6043.