The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (LAC DPH) issued a health advisory on September 8, 2022. This advisory shares important information about COVID-19 new booster recommendations, observation period and co-administration.
- The CDC recommends that people ages 12 years and older receive a booster dose of bivalent mRNA COVID-19 vaccine at least 2 months after their last COVID-19 vaccine dose (either the final primary series dose or the last booster). This is regardless of how many boosters or which type(s) of vaccine they received in the past.
- The recommendations for people under 12 years of age have not changed.
- The CDC guidance on observation after vaccination has been updated.
- COVID-19 vaccines can be co-administered with influenza and/or other vaccines. However, there are additional considerations for orthopoxvirus vaccine.
- Providers are asked to schedule or refer their patients, especially those at high risk for serious COVID-19, for both yearly influenza and bivalent COVID-19 booster vaccines.