L.A. Care's Elevating the Safety Net is based on a set of Guiding Principles. These five ideals shape our program planning and activities, ensuring that we address core values and issues in this crucial investment.
Increase Health Access
- Expand the pool of providers serving Medi-Cal beneficiaries in Los Angeles County
- Emphasize support to geographic areas in the county with disproportionate health care provider needs
- Focus on primary care providers, including mid-levels (physician assistants, nurse practitioners), and those in high-demand specialties
Equity and Cultural Competence
- Promote equity in grant programs to better address the needs of the underserved/vulnerable members of L.A. County and reduce health disparities
- Increase the number of health care providers that can speak the languages and understand the cultures of L.A. County's diverse communities
- Reduce financial burdens on health care professionals, enabling them to serve the underserved and vulnerable community of their choice
- Promote educational opportunities in health care, with a focus on L.A. County residents, where appropriate and feasible
Premier Health Care Workforce
- Attract the best and most promising health care professionals to create a premier provider network
- Collaborate with other interested organizations doing work in this area, including without limitation, the California Future Health Workforce Commission, UCSF HealthForce Center, provider trade associations, foundations and other health plans.
- Align with educational sector plans and priorities as these relate to the health care workforce.
- Seek matching funds where possible.