RFI for Strategic Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Reserve for Southern California
L.A. Care Health Plan is issuing this Request for Information (“RFI”) to understand the Personal Protection Equipment (“PPE”) market in Southern California (SOCAL) and to identify potential SOCAL Vendors who may be considered for a future solicitation.
As the nation’s largest public health plan, L.A. Care Health Plan is dedicated to providing access to quality health care for Los Angeles County's vulnerable and low income communities and residents.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the economic recession that it created, L.A. Care Health Plan is joining forces with organizations throughout Southern California including: the Inland Empire Health Plan (IEHP), the Hospital Association of Southern California (HASC), the Southern California Leadership Council (SCLC), and the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation (LAEDC) to investigate the development of local manufacturing capacity, a Strategic PPE Reserve for SOCAL medical providers and the ability to surge during a future health crisis.
The purpose of the Strategic PPE Reserve is twofold:
- To have quality PPE supplies available for SOCAL medical providers in 7 counties readily available for:
- Normal routine consumption
- Inventory for a 90 day PPE reserve
- Surge capacity from qualified vendors in the event of another pandemic wave
- To have quality PPE supplies manufactured by a SOCAL vendor or a group of SOCAL vendors in order to support the SOCAL economy.
Note: L.A. CARE IS UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO ISSUE A REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL (“RFP”) OR ORDER ANY WORK PURSUANT TO THIS RFI.
Strategic PPE Reserve Requirement Details
For the purposes of this RFI, the PPE scope is normal PPE such as: gloves, disposable gowns, reusable gowns, N95 masks, and the production of vulnerable raw material such as non-woven polypropylene and nitrile for disposable gloves.
The below PPE must meet the strict specifications and standards for hospital use in a hospital setting:
- Nitrile Disposable Gloves
- Disposable Gowns
- Reusable Gowns
- Masks – Filtering Face piece Respiration (FFR) such as N95
The scope of SOCAL medical providers are providers located in the counties of: Ventura, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, San Diego, and Imperial.
The estimated monthly volume of all these counties are:
- 70,558,960 gloves per month
- 26,459,610 disposable gowns per month
- 1,322,981 reusable gowns per month
- 2,204,968 mask FFR such as N95
Requirements and objectives for vendors:
- Manufacturer who can supply either one, two, or all PPE items in scope (nitrile disposable gloves, disposable gowns, reusable gowns, masks).
- Manufacture the raw material that goes into non-cloth PPE, basically non-woven polypropylene and nitrile.
- Manufacture finished products in Southern California.
- Meet the normal routine supply needs of medical providers for PPE.
- Build a 90-day reserve of PPE.
- Refresh reserve continuously so the inventory is never expired in accordance with current PPE specifications.
- Have the surge capacity to increase production during a pandemic or other event that would call for more PPE.
- Purchasers would enter into long-term contracts at competitive pricing to incent manufacturers to invest.
- Provide purchasers with access to the reserve during another pandemic at the regular price to eliminate price gouging.
WE UNDERSTAND THAT THE ESTIMATED VOLUME AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS MAY NOT BE MET IN ITS ENTIRETY. SO IN THIS RFI WE ARE INTERESTED IN WHAT YOUR COMPANY’S CURRENT CAPABILITIES ARE AS WELL AS ANY RECOMMENDATIONS AND ADVICE YOUR COMPANY MAY HAVE TO IMPLEMENT THIS STRATEGIC PPE RESERVE. WE ARE ALSO INTERESTED IN WHAT YOUR COMPANY WOULD REQUIRE IN ORDER TO INVEST IN
2. SOLICITATION, TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The following terms and conditions apply to the submission of RFI responses.
2.1 Intent to Respond.
Email your Intent to Respond to this RFI to RFP@lacare.org by October 2, 2020.
2.2 Summary of Qualifications and Experience.
Please provide your Vendor’s Summary document in no more than five pages (.doc or .pdf format) or slides (.ppt format) that is focused on qualifications and experience applicable to this RFI.
2.3 Exhibit A: Strategic PPE Reserve Questionnaire (.xls format).
Please fill out and return the Questionnaire including all tabs:
- Vendor Profile
- RFI Questionnaire
- Available PPE Listing
2.4 RFI timetable. The timetable for this RFI is as follows:
Intent to Respond to RFI
RFI Responses Due
RFI responses are due by 6:00pm PDT on October 16, 2020.
2.5 Submission RFI Responses.
An email with a copy of the above documents (Summary of Qualifications and Experience, Exhibit A Strategic PPE Reserve Questionnaire, and Exhibit B, signed JDA), in proper format as described above, along with any questions and any additional information relating to this RFI shall be submitted to:
Attention: L.A. Care Procurement
A complete version of the RFP is available as a PDF document under Resources.