The Health Consumer Alliance (HCA) Can Help Your Uninsured Patients Get Answers

Covered California has contracted with HCA to provide free local assistance to individuals and families applying for or enrolled in Covered California or Medi-Cal. You can refer the consumer to the HCA representative in their county.
May 2014

HCA is a statewide association of many Legal Aid organizations. HCA can be a valuable resource to provide consumers additional help and information. When a consumer asks especially complicated questions or scenarios regarding health care insurance eligibility that you do not know how to answer, you can refer the consumer to the HCA representative in their county.

HCA can help consumers with:

  • Complicated immigration questions such as documentation status, student visas, work visas, etc.
  • Continuity of care requests and working with health insurance plans and California regulators (Dept. of Managed Health Care and Dept. of Insurance).
  • Complicated income questions such as how to calculate modified adjusted gross income, tax questions, and other income related questions.
  • Questions about the difference between Medi-Cal and Covered California, the benefits of being Medi-Cal eligible, and other general questions. For instance, refer to HCA for the following types of questions:
  • Can I opt out of Medi-Cal?
  • Will I be able to find a doctor if I enroll in Medi-Cal?
  • Is Medi-Cal a good option for me?


Referral Information for the Health Consumer Alliance

For Los Angeles County Contact: 
Neighborhood Legal Services
Tel: 1-800-896-3202
9:00am-5:00pm Monday through Friday (except closed 1:00pm-3:00pm Wednesday)
13327 Van Nuys Blvd.
Pacoima, CA 91311

For All California Counties:
Use the following table to provide consumers with the contact information of a HCA representative in their county of residence. Click here to see the contact list.