Physician Leadership Program
L.A. Care Health Plan is committed to enhancing the medical leadership capacity for promising physician leaders working in vulnerable and low-income communities. To this end, L.A. Care is pleased to offer a new leadership development program for physicians from community health centers in Los Angeles County. The six month program is designed to equip physicians with tangible leadership and management skills necessary to effect transformational change within their health centers, and ultimately improve patient care and health outcomes. The Physician Leadership Program is offered free of charge to all participants.
Participants will gain in-depth management skills and sharpen their leadership capacity through interactive, experiential learning including, in-person seminars with expert faculty, individual leadership coaching at the start and end of the program, and an organization based leadership project to implement newly acquired skills.
Program Details and Curriculum
The enriching in-person seminars will cover the following topics:
- Leadership Style and Serving Underserved Communities
- Leading Effective Teams
- Managing Health Care Services and Finances
- Improving Health Center Services
- Setting Direction and Change Management
- Participant Projects
- Seminar 1: Leadership Style and Serving Underserved Communities | April 6, 2018, 9am - 11am
- Seminar 2: Leading Effective Teams | April 27, 2018, 9am - 11am
- Seminar 3: Managing Health Care Services and Finances | May 18, 2018, 9am - 12pm
- Seminar 4: Improving Services | June 22, 2018, 9am - 11am
- Seminar 5: Setting Direction and Change Management | July 20, 2018, 9am - 11am
- Seminar 6: Conclusions and Participant Projects | August Date and Time TBD
- Webinar 1: Physician Leadership in Quality and Safety | April 18, 2018, 5:30-6:30pm
- Webinar 2: Optimal Leadership Practices: Achieving Commitment, Enhancing Accountability, and Assertive Communication | May 9, 2018, 5:30-6:30pm
- Webinar 3: No formal presentation; office hours to support leadership project development | June 6, 2018, 5:30-6:30pm
- Webinar 4: Applying Financial Leadership Learning to Case Studies/Understanding Health Care Disparities | July 11, 2018, 5:30-6:30pm
- Webinar 5: Best Practices for Hiring and Firing Staff; How to Prepare Your Final Project | August 1, 2018, 5:30-6:30pm
Participants are expected to attend all six seminars in downtown Los Angeles. For questions about the program, please contact Brooke Ehrenpreis.
Thank you for your interest in L.A. Care Health Plan's Physician Leadership Program. Please review the eligibility requirements and participant expectations before completing the application. The program will accept up to 25 participants through a competitive application. Multiple individuals may be accepted from each community health center.
We recommend completing the application in Microsoft Word before entering all information online.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the program:
- Work at a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC), FQHC Look-Alike, or not-for-profit community clinic in Los Angeles County
- Be a licensed physician
- Have experience managing others or managing complex projects and initiatives
Program participants agree to fully engage in all aspects of this six month program. Specifically, participants agree to:
- Secure supervisor/organizational sponsorship to allow release time during the work day to attend in-person seminars and webinars
- Attend all in-person seminars and webinars
- Develop and implement a leadership project
- Participate in evaluation of the program