- What is California Children's Services (CCS)?
CCS is a statewide program that treats children with certain physical limitations and chronic health conditions or diseases. CCS can authorize and pay for specific medical services and equipment provided by CCS-approved specialists. The California Department of Health Services manages the CCS program.
- What Medical Conditions Does CCS Cover?
Only certain conditions are covered by CCS. In general, CCS covers medical conditions that are physically disabling or require medical, surgical, or rehabilitative services.
- What Does CCS Offer?
If you think your patient might have a CCS-eligible medical condition, CCS may pay for or provide a medical evaluation to find out if your patient’s condition is covered.
If your patient is eligible, CCS may pay for or provide:
- Treatment, such as doctor services, hospital and surgical care, physical therapy and occupational therapy, laboratory tests, X-rays, orthopedic appliances and medical equipment.
- Medical case management to help get your patient special doctors and care, referral to other agencies, or a Medical Therapy Program (MTP), which can provide physical therapy in public schools for children who are medically eligible.
- Who Qualifies for CCS?
The program is open to anyone who:
- is under 21 years old;
- has or may have a medical condition that is covered by CCS;
- is a resident of California; and
- has a family income of less than $40,000 as reported as the adjusted gross income on the state tax form; or
- the out-of-pocket medical expenses for a child who qualifies are expected to be more than 20 percent of family income; or
- the child has Healthy Families or Healthy Kids coverage.
Family income is not a factor for children who:
- need diagnostic services to confirm a CCS eligible medical condition; or
- were adopted with a known CCS eligible medical condition; or
- are applying only for services through the Medical Therapy Program; or
- are Medi-Cal beneficiaries, full scope, no share of cost.
- Where Can I Get More Information About CCS?
For more information, please contact your contracted Participating Provider Group, L.A. Care’s Utilization Management Department at 1-877-431-2273, or your county CCS office at 1-800-288-4584.