L.A. Care members are eligible for both emergency and non-emergency transportation benefits. Depending on the service, prior authorization may be required. Always consult your plan handbook or call Member Services at 1-888-839-9909 (TTY 711) for complete details.
L.A. Care works with LogistiCare to help those with a medical need arrive to and from the doctor’s office. This is a free service and Medi-Cal enrollees have no limit on rides.
L.A. Care has partnered with LogistiCare, a one-stop source for a full range of transportation options that deliver high levels of customer service to their members/beneficiaries. LogistiCare recognizes fully that their success in delivering such a program depends on the strengths and stability of their transportation providers. They network with local, commercial, non-profit, and public transportation companies to assure members make their appointments in a timely manner.
L.A. Care Covered™ and L.A. Care Covered Direct
The following transportation services are covered:
- Emergency transportation by ambulance or psychiatric transport van, including emergency transportation provided by non-participating providers. If the emergency occurs outside of the service area emergency transportation would also be covered.
- Non-emergency medical transportation is only covered in specific circumstances in the service area (all of Los Angeles County excluding Catalina Island)
Review your Evidence of Coverage (Member Handbook) for important information about transportation services offered by your plan with L.A. Care Covered™ or L.A. Care Covered Direct™ or you may also call L.A. Care Covered Member Services at 1-855-270-2327 (TTY/TDD 711) for more details.
Emergency transportation benefits are covered to the first hospital which accepts the member for emergency care is covered. This includes ambulance and ambulance transportation services provided through the 911 emergency response system.
Non-Emergency benefits are covered when:
- Medically necessary
- Requested by an L.A. Care provider
- Authorized in advance by L.A. Care.
Routine non-emergency medical transportation are $0 co-pay for up to 40 one-way trips to plan-approved locations every year when your medical and physical condition does not allow you to take regular means of public or private transportation (car, bus, etc.) and you have a written approval from your doctor.
Transportation can be authorized when:
- Your medical and/or physical condition does not allow you to travel by bus, passenger car, taxicab, or another form of public or private transportation
- Transportation is required for the purpose of obtaining needed medical care.