Each year, it is important to review your existing coverage and confirm that your current L.A. Care Covered™ or L.A. Care Covered Direct™ plan meets your needs. There are important annual, special and open enrollment dates you'll need to make note of in order to prevent any lapses in your coverage.
The 2017 Annual Renewal Period begins October 3, 2016 and ends December 19, 2016. We will mail you a 2017 Renewal Notice during the beginning of the renewal period with important information about your plan. The renewal period is a good time to report any household changes, including adding a dependent or a change in your permanent address. To ensure your coverage will continue on January 1, 2017, report all changes by December 19, 2016.
How to renew?
You do not need to take any action if you wish to keep your current L.A. Care Covered™ plan. If Covered California™ does not hear from you by December 19, 2016, you and your dependents, if any, will be automatically renewed in the same L.A. Care Covered™ plan using your most recent household size and income information you provided. To keep your coverage, make sure to pay your monthly bill by December 26, 2016 to L.A. Care Health Plan. Please do not send your payment to Covered California.
If you have changes to report:
- Sign in to your Covered California™ online member account or call the Covered California™ Service Center at 1-800-300-1506 (TTY/TDD) 888-889-4500 to update your information.
- The information you provide may make you eligible for a different amount of financial assistance.
If you have no changes to report:
- Covered California™ will only automatically renew your coverage.
- To keep your federal assistance, be sure to provide consent to have your income verified if you have not already done so. To provide consent, sign in to your Covered California™ online member account or call the Covered California™ Service Center at 1-800-300-1506 (TTY/TDD) 888-889-4500
How to renew?
If you are a member with L.A Care Covered Direct™, you can renew in any of the following ways:
- Automatically renew: You do not need to take action if you wish to keep your current plan. L.A. Care will renew you and your dependents if any, in your current L.A. Care Covered Direct™ plan.
- Renew by phone: Get personalized support to renew you coverage by calling L.A. Care Enrollment Support Services at 1-855-222-4239 (TTY 711).
- Renew by mail: L.A. Care will send you a 2017 Renewal Form during the beginning of the renewal period. Please complete and sign the Renewal Form and follow the instructions to return to L.A. Care.
If you have changes to report:
- If you need to make changes to your current plan, add new dependents or change the primary subscriber, you will need to submit a new L.A. Care Covered Direct™ application. Please contact L.A. Care Enrollment Support Services at 1-855-222-4239 (TTY 711) for application assistance or download a copy and follow the instructions to return to L.A. Care.
If you no have changes to report:
- If you do not contact L.A. Care with any changes during the annual renewal period, we will automatically renew your coverage.
The 2017 Open Enrollment Period begins November 1, 2016 and ends January 31, 2017. During the Open Enrollment Period you can apply for new coverage or make changes to your existing plan. Open Enrollment begins in the fall of each year. For 2016 the Open Enrollment Period was from November 1, 2015 to January 31, 2016. We will update this section once the dates for the 2017 Open Enrollment Period become available.
- L.A. Care Covered: To enroll in L.A. Care Covered, you must apply through Covered California™.
- L.A. Care Covered Direct: To enroll in L.A. Care Covered Direct, you must complete and submit an application to L.A. Care.
You can call us at 1-855-222-4239 (TTY/TDD 711) if you need help understanding your options or if you would like assistance with the application process for L.A. Care Covered or L.A. Care Covered Direct.
If the Open Enrollment Period has ended and you need health coverage, please review the Special Enrollment Period section to see if you qualify to enroll before the next Open Enrollment Period.
Did you know that certain life events make you eligible to apply for health coverage? The Open Enrollment period for 2016 ended on January 31, but you may still be eligible for coverage during Special Enrollment. Special Enrollment is a period outside Open Enrollment when you can apply for health coverage. You may be able to apply for health coverage if you experience qualifying life events such as those listed in the table below and report them within 60 days.
|Qualifying Life Events||L.A. Care Covered||L.A. Care Covered Direct|
Loss of health coverage
For example, you become newly eligible or ineligible for Covered California™ financial assistance due to a change in income.
Having a birthday
|Change in place of residency
A permanent change of address within California or from another state. This also applies to individuals who are released from jail or prison.
|Having a child or adopting a child
Also includes receiving a child into foster care, or placing a child in adoption or in a foster home.
|Getting married or entering into a domestic partnership|
|Becoming citizens, nationals or lawfully present individuals
This event applies only to people who were not previously citizens, nationals or lawfully present.
|For more information on which qualifying life events may make you eligible for a Special Enrollment Period, see:||Covered California™ website||LACCD application
These are just some of the more common qualifying life events. To learn more or apply for coverage through Special Enrollment you can call us at 1-855-222-4239 (TTY 711) for assistance.